Friday, July 2, 2010

6 months into now.

It's been some time since I last posted! Not that anyone would be keeping up with this place, but I thought it'd be a nice thing to point out.

Here I am, at work in an office, at the heart of KL. Situated right beside the Pavilion shopping center, it's a rather interesting experience that has taught me some things about working life. Spending my days slogging away at a computer isn't exactly how I viewed my summer holiday, but oh well. As needs must eh? I suppose a little boredom hasn't killed anyone... though I'm sure there must have been a couple of cases.

Going out and about the city has given me some thoughts though. What else am I supposed to do when I am commuting? People watching is an activity that many people engage in, by choice or not. I've seen how the masses pile themselves like rice in a box as they squeeze themselves into the monorail or the trains. The worst being the KTM, which is packed to the brims. You could even see people using their arms on the doorways to shove themselves in furthur. I've given up on that and instead have been using the much more timely and spacious (and air-conditioned!) LRT.

There are so many different types of people around here. I've noticed that there are many blind people around, something I am not used to seeing, especially in a bustling city like KL. Their plight pulls at something in the back of my mind; here are people who cannot see, yet try to carry on with their lives like nothing is wrong. I gaze on as I see helpful souls - veritable mirrors of the people who shove themselves into trains - taking an arm and leading the blind to wherever they go (as long as it's on the way, I suppose). I've even seen a construction worker in his bright yellow work-vest helping a blind man cross the street. People know when being helpful and good is necesary, even when it's not expected. There's just something about helping others that makes it great, even though there is no benefit for yourself. Perhaps it is the human ability to empathize, to feel - even a little bit - the pain that others feel. Or perhaps they do it just because they are free.

It's been an interesting time. People change, as always, and some things stay the same. My friends are still the zany, crazy people who I know and love. My family is still the slightly strange, very loving, absolutely-drive-me-crazy people that I know and love. The restaurants I frequent still have the wonderfully cooked food that I know and love. The same friends have all started to grow up though, keeping themselves busy with work instead of lazing around with studies. My brother and sister are getting into different ages where they do different things from before. Some of the places I frequent are now gone or have changed locations.

Eh, whaddaya know.

No comments: