Saturday, March 8, 2008

It's spring break!

.. and I am starting it off with a glass of Chardonnay wine, with some really chilling music and the snow outside making the world seem like a hazy but very beautiful one. I have a week's worth of doing nothing, will be going to Chicago next week with my Malaysian friends to get a view of the new world I am in.

Everything feels so peaceful now. When I first came, I wondered whether I could cope with the sudden change of life. I wondered if I would go crazy with the new things happening here: A new place, a new life, no friends, no one I really knew here.

I guess most of those fears are gone. I have friends here from the same college as me, and we've been through enough to make them close enough for me. I am thankful that there is at least some small link I have to home. Without them I think I would have gone crazy with boredom and loneliness a long time ago.

I'm very much a family and familiarity person, I think. Keeping to the old ways is always easier than making new ones from scratch. I think it's really great that I have some people to turn to in times of real loneliness, when I have no one else to hang out with. I always take a long time to make friends, but those that I do make are always good ones.

The little room I have here in the dormitories feels so much like a home to me. I guess I've adapted well. Walking the streets, seeing these foreign people, doesn't really affect me anymore. I mean, they're still new, but I don't wonder at things anymore. They're just people after all.

Slowly, but surely, I think I'm going to like it here.


Slowly but surely.

No comments: