Sunday, April 13, 2008

Hmm...

Well, the semester seems to be wrapping up really quickly. Finals are coming in another 3 weeks. All the work is somehow being done at a wonderful pace. It's kind of hard to believe just how far I've come; from the lost young man in a new country to the grouchy old guy in a land that feels a bit more familiar to him. It's harder still to imagine how far I will have to go in the future.

It has been four eventful months for this guy. In a quarter of a year, I have somehow made this place feel like a home. I look out my window, or look around when I walk, and somehow it doesn't seem so scary and new to me anymore.

I've :
  • Traveled in the States
  • Made friends with Americans
  • Learned some interesting cultures
  • Adapted to the new environment
  • Seen new sights
  • Played with snow
  • Learned to cook (learning still!)
  • Partied with new friends
  • Enjoyed a chilling night out
  • Danced (a little) in the wind and rain
  • Laughed at the sky
  • Said hello, thank you, and you're welcome to strangers
  • Attended Riverdance and Stomp (a must see indeed)
So many things. So many more to come. Change is always scary if you think of it as destroying your life. One way or another though, things change. When you think of it that way, it's not so bad after all. I think that travel really does open eyes.
_______________________

Of course, none of this would have been possible without the friends I have here. The people that welcomed me into their little group to enjoy our stay here together. There is no way I could not give credit to the people who have helped me adapt to a new world. This bunch of crazy Malaysians who are living life out in their own way out here in this equally crazy country. Without them, I would never have known much about making friends. I would have been so lost with so many things. I would have been bored stiff, with no social life to speak of and no friends to dream about.

No matter how 'cool' I could possibly seem to people who don't know me, I am never a person to shy away from being dragged around by friends to have fun. Friends are important to me because they force me to get out, and they help me live life.

I guess that sometimes, some things never change.

No comments: